Subscribe to the Pioneer Press Contact TwinCities.com and the Pioneer Press Local shopping TwinCities.com home and real estate TwinCities.com cars TwinCities.com jobs TwinCities.com classifieds TwinCities.com home page TwinCities.com home page TwinCities.com news TwinCities.com sports TwinCities.com business TwinCities.com entertainment TwinCities.com life TwinCities.com travel




with Sean Jensen and Don Seeholzer

Stop back often because Sean and Don regularly posts updates to your comments. Leave your comments and questions by clicking on the comments link below each post.






Friday, August 25, 2006

Invincible

Last night, on my way to a screening of Disney's new sports movie, Invincible, I was characteristically skeptical.
Hollywood always feels compelled to make sports movies, and I -- as a sportswriter -- always feel compelled to watch many of them. And, more often than not, I am greatly disappointed.
While Invincible doesn't stray from one of the key sports movie formulas (unlikely star overcomes adversity and inspires more talented teammates), rookie director Ericson Core doesn't make a rookie mistake letting his artistic angst get in the way of a good story.
The best compliment I can give to Core is that the nearly two-hour movie didn't really have any dead spots.
I'm also not a huge Mark Wahlberg or Greg Kinnear fan. But both did a great job in this movie.
How good was the movie? My wife even enjoyed the film, asking me to look up a few articles on Vince Papale to see what he's been up to since his playing career ended.
There hasn't been much to look forward to at the box office this summer (the fact that Snakes on a Plane has done well is a travesty). But Invincible is entertaining and even inspiring.
Let me know what you think.

1 Comments:

Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I'm a sucker for underdog sports movies, but this is a crowded week .. I'll probably go see Idlewild and maybe Beerfest this week, which pushes Invincible and Little Miss Sunshine (which we finally got!) until next week .. I'll definitely see it, though .. thanks for the good word!

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home