Subscribe to the Pioneer Press Contact TwinCities.com and the Pioneer Press Local shopping TwinCities.com home and real estate TwinCities.com cars TwinCities.com jobs TwinCities.com classifieds TwinCities.com home page TwinCities.com home page TwinCities.com news TwinCities.com sports TwinCities.com business TwinCities.com entertainment TwinCities.com life TwinCities.com travel




with Sean Jensen and Don Seeholzer

Stop back often because Sean and Don regularly posts updates to your comments. Leave your comments and questions by clicking on the comments link below each post.






Saturday, November 10, 2007

Williamson to donate game check in grandmother's honor

Vikings WR Troy Williamson said in a statement that he will donate the game check returned to him by the club to a charity in his grandmother's honor.

Here is the full text, released through his agent David Canter:

"Earlier today, coach Brad Childress informed me that the Vikings have decided to pay me my game check for the game I missed last weekend due to the untimely death of my grandmother. I wanted to release this statement to thank the thousands of supporters who spoke up for me on my family's behalf. We also want to thank them for their outpouring of emotion and support.

"This has been an extremely trying and difficult time for my family, and I hope that everyone’s thoughts and prayers are with my brother Carlton for a quick and speedy recovery. "My wish is that the issue is over, and that I can now go about being a football player and putting this matter behind me. I wanted to thank my family, my friends, my teammates, the NFL Players Association, my agent David Canter, and all the Vikings fans for supporting me through this difficult time. In light of today’s events, my wife Charity and I have decided to donate that game check to a charitable foundation to be determined at a later date in the memory of my grandmother Celestine. I will not be speaking about this issue any further."

7 Comments:

Blogger bobg said...

One small gesture and he proves that he's a bigger man than Childress could ever hope to be.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bob, maybe you talk to Childress once a week and know him personally. I don't, so I can't tell you what kind of person he is. I can evaluate his effectiveness as a coach, but not what kind of person he is. I don't know.

If you want something to be conflicted about, ire is better directed at Kevin Williams.

2:58 PM  
Blogger bobg said...

Andrew, I learned early in life to go with my first instincts. Nothing they tell me about Childress is good. The coaching ability (in my estimation) directly correlates to his personality and character. Instead of being a decent person up front, he has to be chastised by all parts of the North American continent before he concedes that he made an error. This is not about Williamsson or Williams. It's about an ego-maniac who happens to be the lackluster - deer in the headlights - coach of the Vikings. How far we've fallen from the Bud Grant days.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

A mature response to an action which was entirely unnecessary. If the Vikings would have handled this correctly in the beginning, it wouldn't have come to this. Go Troy, you earned a star in my book. You are indeed more than the game. Unfortunately, I see a hastened to judgement by coaches and ownership alike, and that in itself, is disturbing.

3:18 PM  
Blogger mark said...

Something tells me Tony Dungy would have handled this situation the right way from the beginning. Nice guys do finish first. Just another black mark on a franchise that is really hurting. I admire Troys heart.

10:35 PM  
Blogger mark said...

I have to believe Tony Dungy would have handled this differently. Just another black mark on this franchise. My hats off to Troy and his heart.

10:37 PM  
Blogger mark said...

opps. Maybe I'm the idiot. I can't figure out this posting thing

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home