Subscribe to the Pioneer Press Contact TwinCities.com and the Pioneer Press Local shopping TwinCities.com home and real estate TwinCities.com cars TwinCities.com jobs TwinCities.com classifieds TwinCities.com home page TwinCities.com home page TwinCities.com news TwinCities.com sports TwinCities.com business TwinCities.com entertainment TwinCities.com life TwinCities.com travel




with Sean Jensen and Don Seeholzer

Stop back often because Sean and Don regularly posts updates to your comments. Leave your comments and questions by clicking on the comments link below each post.






Monday, August 27, 2007

Holcomb thrilled to be a Viking

More than anything, veteran Kelly Holcomb said Monday afternoon that he is thankful that he is joining a "good football team."

"You knew the situation here," Holcomb said of Philadelphia, where he was the fourth quarterback. "There was nothing I could do about it. When they drafted Kevin Kolb, you feel helpless.

"But I'm coming to a good football team," Holcomb said. "I watched them on TV. You got a salty defense, and you got some good players on the team.
"I’m excited to do whatever they need me to do."

Given his frustrations in Philadelphia, Holcomb said he isn't as concerned whether he is the backup or even third string.

"I’m anxious to get up there and see what I can do to help you guys win some ball games," he said.

Still, his time in Philadelphia wasn't wasted. He said he got to learn the West Coast offense under Eagles head coach Andy Reid.

"I think it was a good situation for me to come up here and learn from coach Reid. I’d never been in the West Coast system," Holcomb said. "Things happen for a reason."

As Childress mentioned, the Seattle Seahawks were also interested. But Holcomb is thankful that he didn't end up there.

"I wasn’t sure if I could get my wife to Seattle," Holcomb said of his wife, Lorie, who lives in Tennessee. "Man, that’s a long flight."

Traded to the Eagles by the Buffalo Bills, Holcomb said he and his family never purchased a home in Philadelphia because of his uncertain status.

"We bought houses everywhere we've been," Holcomb said. "But this wasn’t the time or place to buy a house."

His wife and three children will be at the Metrodome on Tursday, when Holcomb will play for the first time since the preseason opener for the Eagles. He hasn't taken the field in the last two games.

Holcomb said he also has no problems mentoring second-year quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, who was named the starter Monday by Childress.

"I have no issues with that," Holcomb said. "I’m not an egotistical guy. I want to play. But it is what it is. Heck, I just want to be a part of something. If that means mentoring young guys, then that’s what I’m prepared to do."

Traded to the Eagles by the Buffalo Bills, Holcomb said he and his family never purchased a home in Philadelphia because of his uncertain status.

"We bought houses everywhere we've been," Holcomb said. "But this wasn’t the time or place to buy a house."

Holcomb, who is signed through 2008, said he planned to be at practice Tuesday.

3 Comments:

Blogger PurpleDawg said...

Welcome Kelly Holcomb, please help us. Our offense stinks.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Patrick Dempsey said...

yet another Philadelphia castoff to play for the Vikings. Are there any other teams out there the Vikings will trade with?

5:35 PM  
Blogger DAWGMAN said...

How Far The Fall??
A few years ago this trade would never have even been on the radar. Today it's a piece of "Hope For The Future"..... Sigh!!!! God I hope this Franchise turns this program around soon. Go Vikes/Kelly!!!

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home