Subscribe to the Pioneer Press Contact TwinCities.com and the Pioneer Press Local shopping TwinCities.com home and real estate TwinCities.com cars TwinCities.com jobs TwinCities.com classifieds TwinCities.com home page TwinCities.com home page TwinCities.com news TwinCities.com sports TwinCities.com business TwinCities.com entertainment TwinCities.com life TwinCities.com travel




with Sean Jensen and Don Seeholzer

Stop back often because Sean and Don regularly posts updates to your comments. Leave your comments and questions by clicking on the comments link below each post.






Monday, July 16, 2007

Pat Williams deal not "imminent"

On the day Cory Redding became the league's highest-paid defensive tackle, the agent for Pat Williams indicated that no significant progress has been made toward a new deal for his client with the Vikings.

"We've had pedestrian discussions," agent Angelo Wright said. "No deal is imminent."

Asked if there is a timetable to finalize an extension for Williams, Wright declined comment.

Although he has never been to a Pro Bowl, Redding was signed to a seven-year, $49 million contract that included $16 million in guarantees, according to ESPN.com. Redding, a fifth-year player, has 12 career sacks, eight of them in 2006. His deal trumped the one that Pro Bowl defensive tackle Kevin Williams got from the Vikings in December.

Williams heads into the final year of a three-year, $13 million contract he signed with the Vikings in March 2005. He is scheduled to make $2.65 million in 2007.

In April, Williams said he was hoping for a four-year extension.

“I want to feel like I’m wanted," Williams told the Pioneer Press in late April. "I don’t want to feel the same way I did in Buffalo. I want to feel that there is a home (in Minnesota) for us. I don’t have to look over my shoulder.

“I want to retire a Viking.”

During that interview, Williams also lamented the sizable contracts "average" players were getting.

“You got average players getting paid big-time money, and they ain’t proving it,” Williams said. “I just want to get treated right. I think I’m one of the top five defensive linemen in the league, and the top nose tackle in the league.”

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

While it takes " two to tango ", the Vikes run D wouldn't have been the same without Pat. I hope we can come to terms with him to keep him until he retires, but I REALLY hope the Redding deal isn't the standard, even though I know it will be. The Lions payed WAY too much for an average player, and while I agree that Pat should be payed more than Corey, that deal was dumb, especially for a player that is towards the end of a career.

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home